Surrounding its namesake Silverlake Reservoir, the Silverlake neighborhood is one of the most desirable in all of Los Angeles. Its rolling hills provide views from the Pacific Ocean to Downtown, the Hollywood sign, and the Griffith Observatory, and off to the Verdugo and Angeles Crest mountains. Nestled in between Los Feliz and Echo Park, Silverlake is also convenient to a lot of other great areas; and while its idyllic setting can make it seem world’s away, it’s only a few miles from Downtown. Silverlake’s rich and diverse architectural history includes many styles that intermingle harmoniously, and include residences designed by renowned architects Richard Neutra, John Lautner, and R.M. Schindler.
Eateries, watering holes, and shopping abound to satisfy all tastes (and most budgets) and the well-known Sunset Junction farmer’s market is the Eastside place to pursue produce and wares from local artisans. The trendy community also boasts some of the nation’s most lauded food trucks, a multicultural blend of residents with eclectic professions, and a booming arts scene. It is easy to understand why Forbes Magazine named Silverlake the coolest neighborhood in the country in 2012.
The U.S. census counted 32,890 residents in the 2.75-square-mile neighborhood, an average of 11,266 people per square mile, among the highest population densities in Los Angeles County.
The median age for residents is 35, which is about average for both the city and county of L.A. The percentages of residents’ ages 19 to 34 and 35 to 49 are among the county’s highest. The neighborhood is highly diverse ethnically with Latinos making up 41.8%; Caucasians, 34.0%; Asians, 18.0%; African Americans 3.2%, and others, 3.1%. The average household size of 2.3 people is low for the city of Los Angeles. Renters occupy 64.3% of the housing stock, and house or apartment owners the remaining 35.7%.
The featured properties in this month’s rent survey represent six apartment communities in the 90026 and 90039 zip codes built from 1927 to 1985. Average occupancy rates for the communities range from 85% to 98% with average rental rates ranging from $2.26 to $3.06 per square foot. Common area amenities include swimming pools, community patios, and on-site laundry facilities while unit amenities include hardwood flooring, upgraded appliances, ceiling fans, and private balconies. Residents pay application fees ranging from $22 to $30 with security deposits up to two month’s rent. Pets are allowed in some surveyed communities with residents paying non-refundable pet deposits of up to $300.
© 2017 Greysteel. All Rights Reserved.